Monday 21 June 2010

Ok day 1

So already im feeling the pressure of writing this, but im excited too.

Ok...i am one of three children. My mum is profoundly deaf and both my sisters and I are hearing. Whilst at church i was introduced to a lady who is married to a deaf man. During the conversation she refered to me as a 'Coda'; a term i have never heard before in my 25 years of being alive. I finally swallowed my pride and asked "what is a 'Coda'?". She smiled, as if i was asking just to be polite to the people around me from hearing families, and said 'Coda means Child Of Deaf Adult'.

Its odd i have always felt different, being part of two cultures, both hearing and deaf. Now i know that i have a title, i feel part of a small club that i have never seen or heard about. I have since found forums, websites and support groups for 'Codas'.

I think its wierd that something that is so normal e.g. being the child of my mum warrents having a little sub culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment